Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Somebody Pinch Me

Douglas and I are in Munich, Germany now. We will be here for two glorious years. We arrived early morning to the first of many rainy, gray days. I love the rain so all my German teachers at the institute said that I will love Germany. Yes! Upon arrival, we were driven to our apartment which, in a word, is charming. Although we were told we’d be in a spacious four bedroom apartment across the city from the Consulate, we are in a small two bedroom apartment a couple blocks from the Consulate. I’m glad. I wasn’t, but I am now. It has beautiful wood floors, huge windows overlooking trees and another bright yellow apartment building with flower decorated balconies, huge closets and lots of storage. We are given a maid’s quarters upstairs which is now my writing room. It’s a small, plain, square room with a closet and a window overlooking more trees.

Doug was delighted to learn that he was not expected at work our first day in Munich. Our hosts left us enough food to take care of us for a couple of days so we didn’t have to run out and shop. Wednesday, our second day in Munich, we spent visiting various people in the Consulate for introductions and information. Doug had more meetings Thursday and Friday. Thursday I went in to straighten out the Consulate’s library books which may seem like a selfless act on the surface, but is actually my way of getting my hands on good books. I found one gem in particular in a book called, “Legends and Tales of Old Munich.” It has historical and mythical stories relating to various famous sights in Munich. As I am hoping to do some storytelling here, that may be very helpful. Friday I went grocery shopping for the first time. It was easy, but expensive. $$$$$ Today I made a huge pot of chicken and wild rice soup that was relatively inexpensive and will last us for days. I must find more things like that to do, because the food is very pricey.


One of the many exquisite view along the 20 miles of walking paths in the English Garden

Our shipment from Tashkent arrived Monday. The men unloaded everything putting it just where I wanted it (even if I changed my mind). When they finished, they came into the apartment and shut the door behind them which made me slightly nervous. The one in charge said, “Now we unpack for you.” I laughed thinking he was joking. They stood stock still looking at me, not getting the joke. “You’re serious?” I asked. The man leaned forward and said in his heavy German accent, “You are in Germany now.” They were serious. That was the greatest as I could put things away without futzing around with breaking down boxes, piling them and trying to stuff all the paper used to wrap in a box.

I have my piano. I was concerned about playing it and highly enforced German quiet hours, but there seems to be some distance between us and the ‘neighboring’ apartment. Our door is the only door on the landing in this hall. Someone beneath us or above us may hear it, but everyone else in this building is American and from the Consulate so they’ll probably be at work all day. I’m relieved.


This is the Monopteros which overlooks the gardens.

Oktoberfest began our first weekend here. We intended to go to a parade Saturday morning – the parade of the hosts – but we overslept. We went to a parade Sunday morning instead, the parade of the costumes. It was nearly three hours long. I have never seen so many bands and costumes in my life. I loved it. My favorite bands were made up of drums, glockenspiels and fifes. We saw oxen, men threshing hay, whip crackers, birds of prey and pretzels and cookies tossed to the onlookers.


The view from the Monopteros.

Tonight Douglas is at a basketball game with the Deputy Chief of Mission from Berlin. I cleaned lint out of my hairbrush. That’s okay. I was in the mood. It was kind of a Zen thing.

You know how, when you’re in another city or state or country, something will happen that tells you that you are no longer home, you are somewhere else? On our first day, we took a walk in the city and these young men were skipping down the street carrying cases of beer and singing. And this was in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon! Later that week I was walking and heard “Allo!” I turned and saw two very young children peeking out a window grinning at me. The window was like a door in shape, but opened by swinging up vertically instead of your typical window which swings out horizontally. They were squeezed into that little opening watching me walk. Precious.



These beautiful gardens are right across the street from our apartment.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds amazing, Laura! I love your photos. What great timing to arrive for Oktoberfest!

    ReplyDelete