Saturday, December 20, 2014

Christmas markets and Window Shopping



When Douglas and I found out we were coming to Germany one of the first things I looked forward to was Christmas in Germany. I did not get my hopes too high.


There are several Christmas markets within walking distance of where we live and many within an easy subway ride. What is striking about the Christmas markets is the variety of goods. Hats, scarves, sweaters, socks and gloves are very popular and beautiful. Douglas and I like to look at the Alpaca booth to tempt ourselves. There is a medieval market that has more dated looking and unique decorations and clothing. This year I bought some tea candle holders, two that look like cordial glasses that sit on a table and three that clip to the boughs of a tree so we can actually have candles on our Christmas tree. I bought them from the man who made them. I was on an excursion with my German teacher. He heard me struggling with German and switched to English. I told him that my German teacher was right here, and to please use German so I don't get in trouble. He laughed and continued in German. I have no idea what he said. At this market there are costumed characters, including St. Nicholas, who wander around interacting with the patrons. It reminds me a bit of the renaissance festival and makes me wish I had my costume with me. The food there is the best. I've eaten (twice) their potato-based noodle dish with ox meat. Oh, my . . .


Most of the markets feature handmade works. I'm eyeing a honeypot I may buy for Douglas this year made by a local ceramicist. Don't tell Douglas.


My favorite things are the ornaments of which I've bought several. Specifically I like the blown glass and the painted pewter ornaments. There are many handmade nativity scene booths with more pieces than I've ever seen in anyone's Christmas nativity. I've not bought any of these, but I always stop to look which is more than half the fun.




Speaking of looking being more than half the fun, I've never been a window shopper. Sure I'll notice an attractive display, but that's about it. In Munich I find myself often pausing outside windows throughout the year, but at Christmas time it seems like it's a friendly competition for our attention.




















The above two pictures are of a shop near Marienplatz (a famous area where the Rathaus - old town hall - and Glockenspiel are located). There is always a large crown outside this window. I was lucky to get these shots.


















The above picture and the following picture were taken on my way home from a rehearsal one night. I joined up with the Munich English Language choir (which conducts its rehearsals in German, go figure) to sing an Advent service. One evening Douglas and I had been out to dinner with a friend before my rehearsal and I was so full even after rehearsal that I decided to walk home rather than ride the subway. I was so taken with the windows that I pulled out my phone to take some pictures. They turned out particularly well, I think, because it was dark out and the windows were lit. Enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment