Thursday, October 1, 2020

What I've Learned from this Administration

 

I promised this blog last month. I wasn't in the mood to write it because it brings me down. But hee it is as promised. Next month will be more fun. I hope.

I will never say Anyone, but . . .

I voted for Barack Obama, but I wasn’t overly concerned about John McCain winning the election. I admired John McCain even if I didn’t agree with him on everything; he was an honorable man. God rest his soul. I might upset a few readers in my next statement, but please stay with me; I have more to say that isn’t so divisive (the next paragraph, for example). Many people were so full of vitriol for Hillary Clinton, they couldn’t see past it to recognize the poisonous character of Donald Trump. I remember reading about the third-party candidates and shuddering at some of their platforms. My point is, while I wouldn’t necessarily vote for a candidate from the, say The Flat Earth Party, I need to at least look at their main platform before dismissing them.

Look at the big picture.

I need to figure out how to keep perspective when leaders let us down and disappoint me. I was one of those screaming at George H.W. Bush for going back on his campaign promise to not raise taxes. He lied to us!!!! He did. He should have never told us he wouldn’t raise taxes. He didn’t know the future. Michael Dukakis chose his words more carefully, that he would look at new taxes as a last resort. While candidates certainly need to choose their words carefully, I need to listen wisely. Just as no one knows how long we’ll be dealing with this corona virus or whether or not everything will be okay, no presidential candidate knows what’s in store for them personally or for the nation when they’re campaigning. So, I need to cut them some slack when they can’t deliver what they promised – what they probably want. George H.W. Bush wound up making one of those unpopular decisions that was probably best for the nation as a whole. Not having a sliding door to another dimension, I don’t know. 

Some ties need to be severed.

I’m realizing that there are people with whom I’m close, who had a strong influence in my formative years, who are very different than I thought. These people taught me to be honest, but support Donald Trump, one of the most publicly dishonest people I’ve ever known of. I was encouraged to get a good education, yet these people want another four years of this president who dismisses the science and research into environmental issues and this pandemic because he thinks he knows better. He said he wanted to Make America Great Again, yet he didn’t think enough of us to tell the truth about this pandemic. He said he didn’t want to create panic. These people taught me to believe in God and teachings of the Bible, yet they support this president who incites violence against fellow Americans (at his campaign rallies) and won’t denounce – and even has even complimented and encouraged – hate groups (Charlottesville). I was taught not to call names by these people who support this president who calls anyone who disagrees with him insulting names and publicly makes fun of the disabled. If I were paranoid, I’d say it looks like mass mental illness or mass hypnosis. I’ve heard of people distancing themselves from family and friends during this administration. I understand that. It’s hard to carry on loving, friendly conversations when you know what lies beneath. While I don’t want politics to stand in the way of a good relationship, I see how differing morals can prevent having any good relations with people supporting this amoral behavior. It’s not politics driving some people apart, it’s moral values.

We must learn to dialogue with each other.

I've written this before, but it is something that we all need to keep practicing. I used to be an arguer; I've learned to discuss - listen and share ideas. Unfortunately too many people won't participate in an exchange of ideas that differ. Some, like myself at times, don't have enough to back up their opinions or the truths they know and they are too uncomfortable listening to anything that runs contrary to their thoughts. They must feel like they are up against something rather than exploring. That's sad. That, once again, was me in my 20's. Some people are too bent on insulting someone who sees things differently or who actually knows more than they do. While I never did this to anyone's face, I certainly walked away from exchanges thinking awful thoughts about the other person. I'm still learning to look at the issue rather than the person. Donald Trump challenges me here. I'm hard put to find any redeeming qualities about him because I've not seen him display a single one publicly.

Please comment what you have learned from this administration whether it aligns with my thoughts or goes contrary to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment