Sunday, May 5, 2013

The End of the Story

Today is Easter in the Eastern Orthodox church. Years ago, sometime during Lent, I was asked to give the homily at our church. To the surprise of the congregants, I began with the story of The Three Little Bears. I did this because everyone knows this story and everyone knows how it ends.

After finishing with the telling of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I moved on to stories in general. Another reason I chose The Three Bears is that I know of there are a few other versions that not everyone knows. For example, "Goldilocks" is an old woman of foul character who breaks into the bears' house and helps herself to their table of food and beds. When the bears return and find her, she winds up impaled on the church steeple as an apparent reminder to keep out of others' houses. I then related this story and stories in general to Easter

I posed some questions to the congregants. How did Mary feel during the days between our Good Friday and Easter morning? How did the disciples pass their time? Today as we reread the Easter story it's easy to  overlook those aspects. Three days, however, is a long time to overlook. It's particularly easy to overlook when one knows the outcome of the story. Saturday morning two thousand odd years ago, no one knew the outcome of this famous story.

If the old woman in the alternate Three Bears story knew she'd wind up impaled on the church steeple she would not have ever entered that house. If Mary or the disciples knew that Jesus would have life again, their worries would have been abated and their fears eased. But, and this is simple yet important, they didn't know.

Today, how many of us are jobless? Who among us is oppressed? Who has just lost love - either to death or due to a break up? Many of us in the thick of these problems will react to the stress with worry, advice seeking, maybe some irrational behavior or, hopefully, ideally, calmly and rationally. Think back to times when you had to react to such a life affecting situation. Remember that as you made your way through it, you didn't know how it would turn out. I think back to all the fears I had after I was raped. Would I have some infectious disease? Would I be able to find insurance? Would I be pregnant by this thing that raped me? Would I be capable of trust again? Could I trust my own decision making? Could I trust others? Could I ever trust the legal system that refused to prosecute the rapist? For  weeks my life was sheer fear. For a year it was full of worry. I wish I could go back to that 35 year old self and tell her that aside from the atrocity of being raped, I was and would remain to be fine and healthy.

Obviously we can't know the end to our stories. We can, however, sometimes write the next page or chapter. We can guide the tone of the dialogue. We can change the scene. We can tweak the setting.

Too often we don't live with enough energy. We drift along through life letting it take us where it will instead of keeping our alert heads up and finding a better way. It's ironic, really. We want life to be easy so we drift along through it. Yet when we find ourselves where we don't want to be, it can take more effort to get out of that place than avoiding it would have taken. We work hard. We spend so much time earning money. Can we will ourselves to spend time bettering our lives in non-financial ways?

There have been times after which I've come out of a difficult situation feeling like I had a second chance on life. Dramatic, I know, but true. I felt that when I realized that I was not pregnant after the rape and once again, later, when I learned that I was still disease free. Truly every day is a second or third chance on life. Let's find out what we're made of. Let's pick one aspect of our lives - behavior, method of thought, the company we keep, whatever - that we want to better and let's do one thing every day to better it.

Stories are written one word at a time as our lives are lived one moment at a time. But we must live them mindfully. We must live them deliberately. If we don't, there are plenty of others out there who have designs on our life, plenty of other forces at work lying in wait.

It's an overwhelming prospect, I know. And we must be patient. We must take pleasure in our efforts regardless of their outcome. This is difficult. Be it Fate or a coworker there is a lot working against us. We must take joy in the smallest amount of progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment