Friday, April 24, 2020

Quarantine Bloglette: Aaaah

I just got back from a nice, refreshing walk around the Embassy compound. The temperature was perfect. I didn't need a hat, but I wore one because it felt good. Light jacket, gloves. Cool, but not cold, barely a breeze. It's misting, but not raining, so it's moist, but not sloppy nor drenching. And it smells good. I only saw one other person, so I could talk to myself, sing, pick up a stick to carry and play with.

I was taking a walk because I needed to think before I worked any more on my novel. Within about ten minutes, I had the ideas I needed to move forward.

Having accomplished what I wanted with the walk early, my mind was free to sink into the walk itself. I could let my thoughts linger on what a good morning I'd had - including good progress on my novel and lunch with a friend, and what a nice afternoon and evening I was anticipating - including piano practice and making Italian for dinner while sipping red wine.

I realized as I walked, that the anxious, unsettled feelings I have are moments, while the nourishing, comforting times are minutes and days. Maybe yours are like that, maybe they're opposite. If they're opposite, I'm sorry. If they're opposite, I hope you can learn what you need to from them, so you can move through them and leave them behind. I hope that the momentary, deep pleasures that root themselves in you from time to time are stronger in their briefness than all the worries of the longer-lasting torments. Time after time storytellers and poets tell of all the good that comes from bad situations. But know this: rarely does anything bad come of the good.



This is supposed to be a video, but given my past success/failure rate with posting videos, it might just be a picture for you. This was the first time I'd ever seen the frozen ocean. Hearing the ice rub up against itself and groan and creak was eerie. I hope you can play it and hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment