Friday, April 24, 2020

Quarantine Bloglette: It's just . . .

I read a short story several months ago that had a strong impact on me. (I'm sorry that the book is back home in Vladivostok. When I get back, I'll try to remember to find the story and cite it in this post.) The story, as I now remember, was basically about a young man working his way through young adulthood with work and love. He was daunted by it all and would say to himself, It's 
just . . . whatever. "It's just saying hello to her." "It's just showing up on time and answering some questions." (For a job interview, e.g.)

Those words have helped me through some of the daunting travel I've done. It's just a taxi ride to the airport, just checking in, standing in line with everyone else . . . I think those words can be calming today in our long-term isolation. Please know that I don't mean to belittle anyone's anxieties or fed upness in this situation. My intention, rather than dismiss the hardships that come with isolation, is to direct all of us to mindfulness and reality.


It's just one day spent at home with _____ (or alone).

It's just wearing a mask for an hour.

It's just the computer not working again. It is not my fault; I cannot do what I cannot do.

It's just humanity being human; I'm doing the right thing by staying home and protecting myself.


Certainly it's harder to say this for graduations, weddings, long-awaited vacations, etc. Or is it? Can the quarantine wedding be the wedding tale one day? Beautiful ceremonies are ubiquitous. Give people a good, unique story and they'll remember it.

I admit that I might be wrong. To say it's just one day spent at home for the ninetieth day in a row might be impossible. I don't know. But, if I understand it correctly, that's the Buddhist approach. One moment lived at a time, because that's all we've got.

To put a comic spin on this, watch What About Bob? with Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss. It's
 just . . . is replaced with baby steps. While you're at it, watch Groundhog Day, also with Bill Murray. Laugh, or be inspired: your choice.



At the risk of being trite, I decided to post this picture of beauty emerging through man's sloppy work


These beauties grow wild on an unkempt corner by a house that is in disrepair. No matter what we do, or don't do, beauty simply will not be stopped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment