Friday, April 17, 2020

Quarantine Bloglette: Whatever

Yesterday, Douglas looked at me and said, "Aren't you glad you're not one of those women who has to have her hair and nails done every week?" (Looking back on that comment, I'm unsure as to what, exactly, sparked it. Perhaps I need some mirror time.) I am glad I'm not one of those women. Donald Trump sounds like he wants businesses to open up again. It sounds like our president is more concerned with the economy than with people's health. Unfortunately, he's probably not the only one with misplaced priorities. (Easy for me to say, I admit. Douglas and I have no money concerns right now. I don't know how I would have handled this in my twenties.) A friend of mine posted that to open up businesses because the curve has started to flatten is like taking off the parachute because it has slowed our descent.

Part of the reason for the erroneous thinking of reopening businesses and scoffing social distancing is  that the danger is invisible. If there were soldiers with guns running around on the streets, you wouldn't have to tell many people to stay home where it's safe. If we had super-power glasses that enabled us to recognize the infected among us and the virus on surfaces, we could avoid it. But we don't, so we can't.

Douglas told me that when he goes into the Embassy to work, he behaves as though he knows he's infected, keeping his distance from others and keeping his hands clean. (This is just another example of how much better a person Douglas is than me. I go out assuming that everything I touch and every person I pass has the virus, and that's why I keep my distance and clean my hands and surfaces.) Many people people would consider that too pessimistic. They want to live life with a positive outlook,. But sometimes, that's exactly what will get you in trouble. And with a virus such as this, it, consequently, gets us all in trouble.

As I wrote yesterday, there is a time for everything. This is a time for some constructive pessimism. To play devil's advocate against myself, as I did in the first paragraph, I'll add this: Maybe this is the time to cast aside the health and lives of tens of thousands to ensure a strong economy. I hope not.




This is Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, by Perov Vasily Grigorievich. I chose it in honor of this Orthodox Easter weekend. This painting is very moving for me because of the prostrate position of Jesus. I was singing in the choir at the Catholic church, and  got to see my first ordination. Part of the ritual is the brother (soon to be priest) prostrates himself before the altar while prayers are read. It goes on for a few minutes. I tried it at home, and it is a most uncomfortable position to hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment